Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Yeast Went Wild

My Sourdough Starter Experience
I usually make my sourdough starter from mixing flour and water, and let it ferment for 24-48 hours. I wanted to experiment with different techniques giving my starter a new flavour and aroma, and after a good research I made my starter with Raisin water instead to get the wine smell and flavour. You can of course do the starter with 1 cup flour and 3/4 cup of water
and loosly cover with a lid dont close the lid a towel , Let it ferment and rise again for six hours, and better overnight.
But let me warn you to avoid my mistake, my starter was alive crazily, I didn’t expect it to rise so high , I didn’t put a deep plate under my plastic bowl, I never expected the starter to rise overnight this high, to open the lid and pour over on my table ( I have a Plastic table cloths) I lost more than half of my starter, and had to feed it again to get enough to make my bread for the market.
every time you take from the starter you need to feed it again , and let it rise at least six hours and better overnight. the next day you can return it back to the fridge.

See the results of the breads I made from the same starter, and I am so happy, I use it to any kind of dough which required yeast in the mix. And what a difference!!!.
Try it and let me know
Peter Reinhart Cinnamon BunsUsing the Brioche Recipe from BBA Book

Pumpkin and Sunflower Seeds Breads
Is it a cake or a Bread?
Mishtah


14 comments:

ღ♥ღ Nesrin Designs ღ♥ღ said...

shoo heda ya salam
it's amazing yeast
i like it really

Mimi Cooks said...

all the finished products look so yummy!! i want some :)

Amal said...

Marhaba Arlette
sorry i was a little busy..
I have not received your massages I received messages that you wanted to send to Touria!

I understand that the challenge is to make an algérien recipe?

I had made a tagine zeitoun, it may be appropriate? http://amour-des-saveurs.over-blog.com/article-28880722.html

Take care

Arlette said...

Hello Ladies,

Thank you for you visit and sweet comments,
I will post the recipe for the home made sourdough starter, which I used in all these recipes.

Its amazing.. I made my dough bread, froze it and it kept rising in the freezer, this is how much wild it was...

Anonymous said...

Arlette- those breads and cakes are stunning! You are the master of all things yummy!

Yumeezy said...

These all look so great!

Julia @ Mélanger said...

Okay. I'm stunned. Did you just bake ALL of these? I'm floored.....

jouhayna said...

marhaba arlette
A new member who will join walima club
http://www.bbacuisine.canalblog.com
She likes the idea.
Well, I have no answer about my questions because I've problems with my mail so please this is my new email adress
Touriabn@yahoo.fr
Thanks my dear Touria

nisanur23 said...

hello,yemekleriniz harika görünüyor.

Yumeezy said...

Ahlan wa sahalan, Arlette! Thanks for visiting my site and for the kind words =) I'm half Egyptian half Northern Sudanese and I was born and raised in Northern California...T'sharafnah! Your Lebanese flatbread looks delicious!

MAG said...

Kifik Arlette?
Wow, what a great and yummy selection you made! They look so delicious. You are encouraging me to improve my baking skills now :)

Arlette said...

Ahlan Ya sabaya

Yallah try the sourdough starter and go ahead and do a nice fresh bread, trust me when you start, you will not stop on one.

SOUSOUKITCHEN said...

I love it, it looks yummy. Do you still have some ? ..غير الصور بتشهي, اما الرائحة
يا سلام

SOUSOUKITCHEN said...

Hi Arlette, I can't write to you at
phoenicaingourmet@sympatico.ca
my e-mail comes back each time I write to you.Do you know why ?